This article on ‘Delhi HC Orders Social Media Platforms & Websites To Delete Leaked Scenes From SRK’s Upcoming Movie Jawan: Facts And Laws’ was written by Ashok Kumar Choudhary, an intern at Legal Upanishad.
SRK’s Upcoming Movie Jawan, the highly anticipated Bollywood action thriller, has created a buzz in the Indian film industry. The movie promises to be a game-changer with an impressive cast and talented crew. Atlee, the writer and director, has brought together some of the biggest names in the industry, including Shahrukh Khan, Vijay Sethupathi, Nayanthara, Sanya Malhotra, and Priyamani. Anirudh Ravichander, a renowned composer, is also making his Bollywood debut with Jawan, adding to the excitement around the movie. The music rights for the film have been acquired by T-Series, a well-known music label in India.
Shot at various locations across India, including Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, Chennai, Rajasthan, and Aurangabad, SRK’s Upcoming Movie Jawan has a diverse and dynamic feel. The production team has secured a special cameo appearance by Deepika Padukone, which was shot in Chennai in August 2022, adding to the excitement surrounding the movie.
CASE: RED CHILLIES ENTERNAMNET PVT LTD VS ASHOK KUMAR/ JOHN DOE & ORS 2023
- However, Red Chillies Entertainment Private Limited, the production house, has been dealing with the unauthorized publication and distribution of leaked clips from the upcoming movie. The company has filed a lawsuit against various social media platforms, including YouTube, Google, Twitter, Reddit, and internet service providers, citing copyright and intellectual property violations.
- The lawsuit claims that the leaked video clips reveal crucial aspects of the film, including the appearance of actors and music, which are usually part of a carefully planned marketing strategy. Additionally, certain images from the movie’s set, which were shot in a closed studio, have also been leaked. The plaintiff expressed concern that these unauthorized leaks could further harm the movie’s commercial interests by enabling the reproduction and distribution of copyright-protected materials and proprietary information. while the excitement surrounding Jawan’s release on June 2, 2023, continues to grow, the unauthorized leaks have caused setbacks for the production house. However, with its talented crew, impressive cast, and high-octane action sequences, Jawan is still poised to be a blockbuster hit.
- The plaintiff in the case submitted that various internet service providers (ISPs) and many unauthorized websites are providing the platform where leaks from SRK’s Upcoming Movie Jawan, starring Shahrukh Khan, are being circulated and made available without permission, resulting in a clear violation of the Copyright Act.
- The Hon’ble court has also given judgment in the matter of UTV SOFTWARE COMMUNICATION LTD VS 1337X.TO 2019. Orders were passed, and the plaintiff submitted a list of rogue websites that are still using unauthorized platforms for leaked movies. Mr Rao, the plaintiff in the case, requested the court that he has not signed any contract or agreement nor issued any transmission, distribution, or broadcasting of the film until today. He is the producer of the film and, therefore, holds the copyright and is entitled to injunctive relief.
- Hon’ble Justice C Hari Shankar passed the interim order in favour of the plaintiff. The court has ordered the defendant to restrain from any kind of display, distribution, or duplication of the film SRK’s Upcoming Movie Jawan on any platform without a license from the plaintiff by any medium whatsoever, including the defendant 2, 3, 4, and 5, was directed to block and stop their ongoing access to the film immediately. Defendants 6 to 40, the other online platforms, were directed by the court to block and take down access to the film court order until the hearing on 07 July.
- In response to the lawsuit, the Delhi High Court has issued an interim order in favour of Red Chillies Entertainment. The order mandates the immediate removal of leaked clips from social media platforms and directs internet service providers to block access to websites that offer downloading of copyrighted content from the movie. The interim order aims to safeguard the movie’s intellectual property rights and prevent any further damage to the company’s commercial interests. Despite the setbacks caused by unauthorized leaks, the excitement surrounding Jawan’s release on June 2, 2023, continues to grow. The movie promises to showcase SRK’s versatility as an actor and set new benchmarks in Indian cinema. With its talented crew, impressive cast, and high-octane action sequences, Jawan is poised to be a blockbuster hit.
REFERRED CASE LAW
UTV Software Communication Ltd Vs 1337x.to 2019
- It is a landmark legal case that sheds light on the persistent problem of online piracy and copyright infringement in the film industry. In this case, UTV Software Communication Ltd, a well-known film production company, took legal action against 1337x.to. This notorious torrent website hosted and distributed copies of their copyrighted films without their consent.
- The plaintiff contended that the defendant’s activities were a blatant violation of the Copyright Act and sought injunctive relief to halt further infringement of their copyrights. The defendant, on the other hand, claimed that they were not liable for the actions of their users and that their website merely provided a platform for content sharing after carefully considering the arguments presented, the court ruled in favour of the plaintiff, stating that the defendant was accountable for copyright infringement and instructed them to immediately remove all infringing content related to the plaintiff’s films. The court also ordered the defendant to block access to their website from India to prevent further copyright violations.
- This case is significant because it highlights the ongoing struggle of copyright owners to protect their intellectual property in the digital age, where piracy and infringement have become all too common. It underscores the importance of enforcing copyright laws to protect the rights of creative individuals and companies. It also recognises the need for a balanced and fair approach to content sharing in the online world.
Copyright is a crucial aspect of the entertainment industry, and its importance cannot be overstated in the case of Red Chillies Entertainment and the unauthorized publication and distribution of leaked clips from their movie. Firstly, the movie industry depends heavily on revenue generated from the sale of tickets, merchandise, and licensing agreements, among other sources. Any leaked copyrighted material can significantly reduce this revenue, leading to losses for the production house and other stakeholders involved in the movie’s production and distribution.
Copyright protection is necessary to ensure that movie creators, including writers, directors, actors, and other creative professionals, receive the recognition and compensation they deserve. Unauthorized leaks can harm their reputation, leading to a loss of future opportunities. copyrighted materials are valuable assets of the production house, and unauthorized use or distribution of such materials can result in a loss of control over their commercial exploitation. If the production house loses control over the distribution of its copyrighted materials, it may not be able to capitalize on its full potential, leading to losses.
Therefore, copyright protection is vital in this case to safeguard the commercial interests of the production house, protect the rights of creative professionals, and prevent the unauthorized use and distribution of copyrighted materials. By enforcing copyright protection, stakeholders can ensure that the movie’s success is not compromised by leaked materials and that the value of the intellectual property is preserved.
- Delhi High Court: UTV SOFTWARE COMMUNICATION LTD VS 1337X.TO, 2019.
- N. Thapliyal, “LiveLaw.in,” LiveLaw, 27 04 2023. [Online]. Available: https://www.livelaw.in/high-court/delhi-high-court/delhi-high-court-rogue-websites- internet-service-streaming-clips-jawan-movie-license-227343. [Accessed 28 04 2023].